I am writing for myself and strangers. This is the only way that I can do it... Gertrude Stein

10/31/2004

The Circle of Quiet

Yesterday, I handed out Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith to my friend Carol to offer to her book club, which I may join (though, it meets on Tuesdays at 4:00, and technically, I have to work...). And in the absence of that book, and to take a break from the Timothy Ware I am reading, I started reading The Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle, which I picked up by chance a couple of weeks ago. I haven't read L'Engle since I was a child.

I love it.

I was sitting on the couch reading it this morning, and then, I was pulled, this beautiful sunny day, away to campus with my two younger sons to play hide and seek. I came home to cut Dereck's hair before he goes to hear the democratic guvenetorial candidate speak at 1:00.

Sam went to a slumber party on Friday night, and when I went to pick him up for his soccer game, I was struck by the fact that the kid looked like he needed a shower. He at least needed for somebody to wrestle him to the ground with Q-tips. But we had to go to soccer first.

I was hot all day Friday, so yesterday's sun fooled me, and I arrived on the wet, 55 degree soccer field in a light jacket, shorts, and Teva's and bare feet. Liza, (whom I wrestled willingly into a cap Friday night and gave blonde highlights to) took one look at me and sent me home to change my clothes. I only live a mile from the soccer fields, and while there, grabbed an extra hat, sweat pants, jeans, and two pairs of extra gloves.

After, we went to McDonald's with Barbara and kids and then when we got home, I mentioned that the kids could earn money raking leaves. Sam looked like he was about to pass out, telling me he had gone to sleep at 5 or 6 in the morning, so I apologized and sent him to bed.

He went to bed at 2:00 p.m. and emerged this morning at 9:00 a.m.

To break his fast, we had McDonald's, after he and I took the dog for a nice walk. She is now old enough to be trained, and we can tell her to "sit" while we fasten her leash to her and she will do it.

Ah, Dereck is ready for me to cut his hair.

It is a lovely sunny Sunday.

Amen.